Oxfam IBIS is seeking a peacebuilding advisor to manage and coordinate our work in the field of peacebuilding at the national, regional, and global levels.
Peacebuilding, Rights, and Inclusion is a new focus area of Oxfam IBIS. With programmes in countries such as Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso and South Sudan, Oxfam IBIS is engaging in efforts to support long-term sustainable peace by addressing the causes of conflict and strengthening inclusion of women and youth in peace processes. Our approach is human rights based, and we are particularly concerned with addressing the structural barriers to peace through long-term efforts that empower youth and women to take action.
Moreover, Oxfam IBIS is leading a large programme in the MENA region through the Danish Arab Partnership Programme (DAPP) where our focus is to create jobs to the large generations of unemployed youth and ensure participation and influence by young men and women in the region. While our MENA programme is not per se a peacebuilding programme it aims to address one of the main causes of insecurity and uncertainty in the region i.e. unemployment. In addition to the DAPP programme, Oxfam IBIS aims to increase its engagement in the MENA, Sahel and HECA regions in the coming years.
The Advisor will be our focal point in the organisation when it comes to combining the work on all of Oxfam IBIS’ thematic areas with the efforts to ensure sustained peace. This includes addressing the root causes of violent conflict through quality education for active citizenship, capacity development with local partners, and gender justice in relation to humanitarian efforts to meet urgent needs. More specifically, the coordinator will link peacebuilding programmes at the national level with both regional programmes and global programmes such as Conducive Space for Peace. This also includes gathering evidence and experience from projects at the local level to inform peacebuilding processes at the regional and global levels, and to give voice to civil society actors and have these actors included in multi-stakeholder dialogue. In this regard, Oxfam IBIS wishes to explore and address the role of the private sector in peacebuilding. This would also be a focus area for the coordinator.
Therefore, the Advisor should have experience with programming and project management in the field of peacebuilding, preferably in the Sahel, MENA, and/or HECA regions. Experience with multi-stakeholder dialogue, private sector engagement, and the international peacebuilding community will be highly valued.
About Oxfam IBIS
Oxfam IBIS has more than 50 years of experience working with international development in fragile and conflict affected contexts. Oxfam IBIS is an independent and member-based development organization and a member of Oxfam International. Oxfam IBIS is working for a just world in which everyone has equal access to education, influence, and resources. Together with our partners we fight global inequality and poverty.
Oxfam IBIS works primarily in three thematic areas: Education for Active Citizenship, Economic and Social Justice, and Peace, Rights and Inclusion. In addition, Oxfam IBIS works in humanitarian contexts to promote education in emergencies and resilience. When brought together, these areas of expertise make Oxfam IBIS a strong platform for improving the international infrastructure for sustaining peace.
The Oxfam Confederation has worked in fragile and conflict affected countries and regions for more than 70 years, and is increasingly working to address the causes of conflict and strengthen the voices of women and youth in peacebuilding. Oxfam IBIS will build on the work already done by other affiliates within the confederation.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Coordinate and manage all peacebuilding efforts of Oxfam IBIS including responsibility for managing and implementing a regional programme with activities at national, regional and international levels
- Further develop the thematic area on peacebuilding, rights and inclusion within Oxfam IBIS and together with other Oxfam affiliates and Oxfam International strengthen the role of the confederation in this area
- Support the further development of Oxfam IBIS’ engagement in the Sahel, MENA and HECA regions within the area of peacebuilding and conflict prevention and with a particular focus on participation of youth and women
- Expertise in the field of peacebuilding including national programmatic efforts as well as regional and international policy development
- Knowledge of and experience with supporting the participation and employment of youth and women particularly in the MENA region
- Good knowledge of and experience working in the MENA region
- Good knowledge of and experience working in the Sahel region
- A good understanding of the multiple stakeholders involved in supporting the voice of youth and women in the MENA, Sahel regions
- Experience and deep knowledge of programme cycle management
- A relevant academic degree and proven analytical and strategic thinking
- Fluency in English is required
- French and Arabic is a significant advantage
- Knowledge of and proficiency in Danish is preferable
Conditions for the employment
The work place is in Copenhagen at Oxfam IBIS headquarters. Travel app. 90 days per year.
Salary and working conditions due to present collective agreement with a salary scale between 35.353 DKK and 48.872 DKK including pension and pay supplement. Pay grading
will be based on the level of experience.
Start date: January 1st 2018 or as soon as possible after that
For further information about the position, please contact Mie Roesdahl, Secretary General of Oxfam IBIS.
Please submit your application via the ‘send application’ button and include your motivation letter and CV.
Application deadline: November 16th 2017 at 12. AM
Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
Applicants must be nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
Oxfam IBIS is committed to equal employment opportunity we therefore encourage everybody – irrespective of age, gender and of religious, sexual, national or ethnic affiliation – to apply for this position.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.