Country Manager in Liberia!
Forum Syd is looking for an experienced start-up manager who will also be the international country manager for Forum Syd in Liberia!
Are you an experienced manager within human rights, democracy, gender equality and climate change as part of your work experience? Do you have strong experience from INGO work preferable in West Africa or Africa? Have you previously worked with funding from Sida or other Scandinavian development agencies? Then you might be the person we are looking for
Forum Syd will for the first time start direct operations and support to civil society in Liberia. This will be done through a civil society programme named “Sustainable ownership: empowering communities and civil society in Liberia”. The first phase of the programme is for 3 years but Forum Syd is expecting its presence in the country to be long term.
About Forum Syd
Forum Syd is a Swedish civil society organisation focusing on democracy and human rights, gender equality, and environment and climate change. Our vision is “a just and sustainable world where all people have the power to effect change”. We believe in building strong civil societies where the power is shared by many and the resources are distributed fairly; where people have power to determine their own lives, influence their country’s development and, together, eradicate poverty.
Forum Syd is a member-based organisation which, from a rights-based approach, works with development issues through advocacy and capacity building of partner organisations. Forum Syd direct programmes are currently based in Colombia, Kenya, Belarus, Cambodia and Somalia.
Country Office Liberia
The Country Office Liberia will be responsible for innovation, programme development and fundraising within the country. Furthermore the Country Office is responsible for all processes related to a high quality programme and project implementation. The Country Office Liberia is to play a platform role for Forum Syd’s member organisations and other strategic stakeholders, provide in-depth context analysis of the country and contribute to the capacity development work of Forum Syd.
Areas of responsibility
In the first 6 months of the two year contract the start-up manager is expected to lead and deliver on processes such as:
- Identifying and contracting premises in Gbanga City (main office)
- Recruitment and employing of local staff
- Purchasing of vehicles and equipment
- Legal registration of Forum Syd in the country
After 6 months the start-up manager should focus on the following:
- Make sure all Forum Syd’s systems, structures, guidelines and policies are well known by all members of staff and sufficiently implemented in the office to guarantee transparency, control and compliance in the administration of all funds.
- Manage the employees and the daily operations at the country office
- Make sure programme outcomes are met and methodologies implemented
- Elaborate and maintain a strategic and highly relevant partner portfolio complying with donor agreements and Forum Syd’s Theory of Change.
- Strategic leadership of the country office
- Innovation and fundraising
- Create and maintain a civil society platform role and produce regular context analysis
- Finance, Risk & Security Management and HR
- Build and maintain relationships between stakeholders in Liberia
- Represent Forum Syd in Liberia
- Keeping track of major political and social developments in the country
The international Start up Manager for Liberia will be responsible for securing excellent internal control systems as well as finance, risk, security management and HR work that are in compliance with Forum Syd rules and guidelines. The Country Office will also have responsibility for representing Forum Syd within the country and also for providing the Advocacy and Communication unit in Forum Syd, Stockholm with up to date information that can be used in Forum Syd’s external communication.
- Relevant academic degree or equivalent qualifications obtained in another way
- Proven work experience with projects or programmes granted from Sida or other Scandinavian development cooperations and grant processes.
- Long experience in programme/project management within difficult contexts and circumstances.
- Proven experience working with the Rights Based Approach
- Strong experience working with and for civil society organisations
- Very good ability to express oneself orally and in writing in English
- Experience working with Gender Equality and Environment and climate change is an advantage
- Advantage - Knowledge of Liberian context.
- Clear communicator
- Strategic and operational skills
- Result oriented and goal oriented
- Analytical skills
- Ability to see the overall picture
- Ability to understand new areas quickly
- Situational leadership
- Persuasive networker, able to create & maintain good rapport with partners/stakeholders
This is a two year contract with the possibility of one year extension. The position is full time schedule, located in Gbanga City (2-3 hours’ drive North of Monrovia) and should be starting as soon as possible. Probation period is 3 month. Duty travels are part of the position. Forum Syd will provide benefits according to its internal policy. The position as Start-up manager/Country Manager Liberia depends on that the Swedish Embassy in Liberia secure it’s funding.
Forum Syd is working for equal opportunities for all. We encourage qualified applicants regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, functional ability or ethnic and religious affiliation to apply for the position.
Candidates should submit an application in English, consisting of CV (max 3 pages) and Cover Letter (max 1 pages) including summary of your key qualifications and relevant work experience for the position.
Send the application in an e-mail to address: [email protected] (subject heading: -Start-up Country Manager Liberia no later than 18th of May 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
We look forward to your application!
Lisbeth Petersen, Deputy Secretary General, +46 8 506 371 77
Desirée Köhler, Teamleader , HR and Organisational Culture, +46 8 506 371 63
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.