Do you want to lead a team of professional humanitarians? Do you master the skill of delivering high quality and empowering advise and support during complex emergencies? Can you balance the need for agility and fast response with a commitment to innovation, learning and partnerships?
As the Team Leader for our Humanitarian Technical Team you will be responsible for a dedicated team of 9 professionals of which most are based in Copenhagen but working in some of the most challenging humanitarian situations in the world. The team leader will be based at DCA’s Headquarter with frequent travels to DCA programmes. The DCA Humanitarian Response and Mine Action Unit currently consists of 23 employees including 4 roving experts based outside DCA HQ in Copenhagen. The unit consist of three teams each with a team leader managed by the Head of Unit. The technical capacity of the team covers areas of humanitarian mine action and protection, cash-based programming and risk education, emergency livelihoods, psycho-social support, risk mitigation and capacity building.
The team leader and the team will ensure that DCA is well positioned to address complex crisis and development challenges with comprehensive solutions that span across a set of distinct tools and approaches, as well as from local to global. The focus will be on finding comprehensive responses to crisis and development challenges leveraging DCA’s multiple mandates and competences that cut across the humanitarian-development nexus to strengthen long term thinking in humanitarian response to increase resilience in protracted crises and address structural inhibiters to solutions. The Unit provide advise, support and QA to humanitarian operations in which DCA is doing direct, co- or partner led implementation.
The successful candidate for this job is a kick-starter with good sense of quality and innovation.
Key tasks and responsibilities (in cooperation with the team and country offices):
- Manage and coordinate a team of technical humanitarian experts
- Make sure that staff stays motivated and engaged, also during times with high workload
- Ensure that resources (people and budgets) are utilised effectively and efficiently in coordination with other teams in the Humanitarian Unit and the wider organisation.
Development of Humanitarian Response and Mine Action programmes
- Monitor the need for emergency and/or mine action interventions globally
- Ensure relevant technical input to the strategy development in Country Programmes (e.g. creating synergies between HMA and other Humanitarian interventions, QA of technical components of proposals)
- Represent DCA In Danish and relevant global humanitarian & mine action forums/networks Technical Guidance, Standards and Guidelines
- Ensure maintenance of and adherence to technical standards and safety in Country Programmes
- Ensure relevant humanitarian capacity building of DCA staff and partners
- Ensure that the technical staff follow developments in relevant technical fields to provide technical inputs, feedback and QA on projects
- Conduct monitoring visits to the field
- Ensure specialist knowledge and support from external agencies, including the Danish Army for the organising of the DCA EOD Level 3 course in Skive
- Ensure the development of DCA tools and standards for quality humanitarian response including refinement of DCA HMA quality management systems
The successful candidate will have a broad range of humanitarian competencies and experiences in their tool box. While a specific sectoral expertise is not required, a broad and substantial knowledge of humanitarian and mine action response as well as sector coordination is essential. The successful candidate knows about the about all the key sectors to be able to critically engage with sectoral experts, and to be able to identify which needs are the highest priority.
- Experience with people management is essential for this position
- Communication skills and the ability to get along with others in stressful situations are imperative
- Experience with and good knowledge of one or more of the humanitarian sectors (e.g. Protection, Mine Action, Livelihood in Emergencies cash-based programming and Mobile Monitoring Technology)
- Experience from working and living in field operations abroad, preferably with a national or international NGO or the UN system
- Strong analytical skills
- Above all, this person is robust, a strong team player and an excellent communicator both verbally and in writing
- A minimum of 7 years of experience managing humanitarian aid/mine action programs in complex environments, preferably with a widely-recognized NGO or the UN humanitarian system
- Experience in all phases of project cycle management in humanitarian response programs and/or Mine Action programmes
- A demonstrated, general good understanding of humanitarian programming
- The ability to travel 45 to 60 days per year
- Fluency in oral and written English. Working knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an important advantage.
- Prior experience with and good understanding of working with key humanitarian donors (BPRM, DFID, EU/ECHO, Danida, USDOS) including their priorities
- Proven excellent communications skills – written and oral
- Contract starting as soon as possible
- Good colleagues in a rewarding and empowering work place
- Salary based on DanChurchAid´s collective agreement - an attractive pension scheme and insurance scheme will apply.
- Work time is 37 hours per week including lunch break.
- An interesting and challenging experience addressing humanitarian needs
Contact and Application
If you have questions regarding this position, please send them to Jonas Nøddekær, International Director [email protected] or call +45 29699121
Please upload your motivated application and CV no later than 12 August, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications received by email will not be considered.
We anticipate having interviews in week of 13th August
All interested and qualified candidates, regardless of race, age, gender, religion, or ethnicity, are encouraged to apply.
Please read the minimum qualifications of this position carefully. If you do not meet the minimum requirements for this position, please save your time and ours and refrain from applying.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.