Disaster Management Programme Delegate
Canadian Red Cross (Canadian RC) and Danish Red Cross (Danish RC) are looking for a candidate to serve as Disaster Management Programme Delegate in South Sudan.
Danish RC has been present in South Sudan since 2006 when South Sudan Red Cross was still a branch under the Sudanese Red Crescent. Support has been given mainly to development of capacity for emergency preparedness and response and to branch capacity development.
During the last years, focus in the partnership has been on concrete emergency response to the humanitarian crisis that South Sudan has been going through since the outbreak of conflict in December 2013. Danish RC is supporting the South Sudan RC through a Disaster Management programme, which integrates capacity development from a close mentoring combined with practice oriented approach with support for concrete preparedness and response activities including contingency planning and prepositioning of relief items.
Canadian RC has a strategic partnership with Global Affairs Canada to strengthen national Red Cross and Red Crescent societies. A component of this partnership is the Capacity Strengthening for Emergency Response in Africa, a five-year initiative to strengthen the emergency preparedness and response capacity of four National Societies in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Mali and South Sudan.
The overall purpose of the position is to ensure quality and coherent guidance and support to the South Sudan RC in the development of its strategic and operational capacities in disaster management. The position will require the delegate to support medium to long-term capacity development processes, hands-on operational support and coordination.
You will be responsible for ensuring that Danish RC and Canadian RC fulfil their obligations with South Sudan RC.
With support and under the direct supervision of the Danish RC Country Coordinator and with support from Canadian RC Country Representative, the delegate will contribute to the capacity development of South Sudan RC disaster management and emergency relief operations.
In addition, the delegate will ensure and support the implementation, monitoring and reporting of specific disaster management support to South Sudan RC from Canadian RC and Danish RC.
Within the area of disaster management, the delegate will be tasked to support the South Sudan RC in ensuring close coordination and continual consultation between the South Sudan RC, the International Committee of Red Cross, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and Partner National Societies, including through regular meetings in the South Sudan RC Disaster Management Technical Committee.
Qualifications and experience
- Relevant educational background
- Demonstrated skills and experience with humanitarian programmes, with specific focus within relief and disaster management
- Experience with financial management and fundraising
- Demonstrated skills and experience with development and maintenance of partnership
- English speaking and writing skills are key requirements
- Experience from the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement and/or from the East and Horn of Africa is an advantage
- International Mobilization and Preparation Action (IMPACT) and Hazardous Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) or other security training is highly preferred
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office and possess a valid international driving license
- An excellent communicator with great facilitation skills and diplomatic flair
- Experience with self-management within a distance-management setup
- Good cultural understanding and the ability to build confidence of the partner in a challenging and politically sensitive environment
- Strong interpersonal and coordination skills as well as patience.
The delegate will form part of the Danish RC’s South Sudan Country Team and the Danish RC’s regional team in East and Southern Africa. The delegate will be under the supervision of the Danish RC’s Country Coordinator in Juba and report both to the Canadian RC Representative and the Danish RC’s Country Coordinator. The duty station is in Juba, South Sudan. The delegate will divide the tasks equally between Canadian RC and Danish RC.
The starting day of the assignment is 1 December 2017. The length of the contract will be one year with the possibility of extension. The contract will be administered in accordance with the Danish RC’s Terms and Conditions for Long Term Delegates. The monthly salary including allowance and pension is within range of DKK 40.200 and DKK 42.500 including allowances and pension depending on experience and qualifications.
Please see the job description for further details or contact Country Coordinator, Henna Korte on tel. +211 (0) 914 747 007 or e-mail: [email protected] or Desk Officer Pia Lorentzen on tel. +45 3529 9433 or e-mail: [email protected]
How to apply
Apply via the recruiment system by clicking on Send Application and upload your CV and written motivation letter in English.
Deadline for applications is 29 October 2017. Interviews are expected to be held shortly after.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.