Africa Regional Finance Manager
Can you provide strategic direction on finance management, ensure financial oversight and accountability of programmes and drive the strengthening of finance systems, procedures and capacities in the DRC country offices in Africa?
Currently Danish Red Cross is engaged in 14 countries across Africa with annual programme expenditure of approximately DKK 140 million and 35 international staff (delegates) including 5 finance delegates. In addition, approximately 8 full time Danish Red Cross dedicated local finance/admin staff, In the 14 countries, Danish Red Cross supports the Red Cross/Red Crescent (RCRC) National Societies with interventions in the fields of emergency relief, resilience, migration, health, Psychosocial Support, and National Society Development. The largest programmes are currently in Sudan, South Sudan, Mali and Malawi.
Danish Red Cross has its regional office in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) covering the country programmes in East and Southern Africa and a sub cluster office in Dakar (Senegal) covering the country programmes in West Africa. Danish Red Cross is in the process of establishing a one Africa region structure with the regional office providing strategic direction, operational oversight, technical advice, programme coordination, finance, administration, portfolio and grant management and PMEAL support to all the country programmes in Africa.
The Regional Finance Manager will ensure the financial management controls are strong and effective, and the quality of programme financial management is enhanced. S/he will effectively mobilise the regional and country finance staff into one Africa region finance team and enhance the financial management capacity of the Danish Red Cross Regional and Country Offices in the region, along with building the financial management capacity of partner National Societies.
- Manage the finances of the Regional Office (RO) including the funding, banking, payments, and accounting in the financial system.
- Oversee the financial management of the country programmes and projects, in coordination with the country teams and regional / country finance staff.
- Ensure coverage of each country team’s working / operating expenses.
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete accounting and reporting of projects in compliance with Danish Red Cross standing operating procedures (SOPs) and donor requirements.
- Directly functional manage the DRC regional / cluster finance staff and in-country finance delegates / managers and mobilise into one Africa region finance team.
- Troubleshoot financial problems / issues as they are identified, seeking to limit their impact and rectify their cause so they do not recur.
- Advise the Head of Region (HoR) on all issues related to regional financial management, particularly in relation to strategic longer-term planning of programme development, HR plans, income and expenditure.
- Advise Country Coordinators on all issues related to strategic issues of country financial management
- Provide technical advice to the DRC country teams and their partner National Societies on general financial management issues, in order to build their capacity.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Recognised accounting / finance / business management qualification and training
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in financial management of humanitarian/development programming and project cycle and oversight of large programme budgets.
- Experience with EU/ECHO/DANIDA/DFID/UN specific funding, implementation and reporting procedures.
- Proven staff management, team leadership and mobilisation experience.
- Proven diplomatic, communication, coordination, networking and negotiation skills.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office and with ERP systems (accounting software).
- Willingness and interest to travel across region and work in fluid environments that have varying degrees of security.
- Experience of working in Africa and within the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement is an asset.
Two year contract (twenty four months) with family option status per standard DRC Terms and Conditions for Delegates on Long Term Missions.
The position is located at DRC Africa Regional Office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with a travel requirement of 40% to DRC Africa country officers / programmes and occasionally to DRC HQ in Copenhagen (Denmark).
DRC monthly salary range is DKK 40,900 to 44,400 (depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate). Housing and insurrance provided to delegates.
How to apply:
Click on Send Application below and send your written motivation letter in English and upload your CV, after creating a profile. Deadline for application: Monday 19 August 2018. Start in September / October 2018.
Your future work place:
The Red Cross is always present. We save lives every day, and we equip people with the tools they need to get through crises and disasters. In Denmark, we create communities and help vulnerable people in society lead safe and healthy lives.
We help people on both sides of a conflict and in the remotest corners of the world, regardless of their religion, race or political views.
We are the world's largest humanitarian organization with 17 million volunteers in 189 countries. We are part of your local community no matter where you live. With your help, we can be wherever we are needed, always.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.