Free quality education is a cornerstone in the fight against poverty and inequality, and it plays a key role in the development of social and economic justice, gender equality and sound democracies. It is a fundamental and enabling human right, paving the way for the realisation of other human rights. Oxfam IBIS works primarily with civil society partners to ensure the right to inclusive quality education for children, youth and adults, both in development and fragile contexts. Transformative quality education is an important instrument bringing virtual capital in the hands of the poor and the marginalized, and a prerequisite for fighting inequality as directly distributive, bringing social mobility and catalysing political mobilization. For quality education to live up to its transformative potential, it has to be relevant, conflict-sensitive and contextualised, enabling learners (within formal or non-formal education) to raise their voice, participate and organise.
The Oxfam IBIS Education team key responsibilities are to
- Support the country programs in which Oxfam IBIS is engaged with thematic and strategic expertise;
- Support the integration of education into Oxfam programs also in countries where we currently are not directly involved;
- Contribute to Oxfam’s global and regional structures and campaigns strategically with aspects related to education programming and policy;
- Spearhead knowledge development, evidence-based learning and innovation regarding education within the framework of Oxfam incl. leading the Education Community of Practice and Influencing - ECPI;
- Promote education policy and influencing work at different levels including implementation and monitoring of the SDG 4.
Your responsibilities will include
- Providing ongoing strategic, thematic and capacity development support to educational programs and interventions in 2-4 countries, regionally and globally;
- Contributing to development of approaches, tools and frameworks in support of the implementation and monitoring of Oxfam IBIS’ Education strategies and programme activities;
- Strengthening processes and platforms for networking and knowledge management across educational interventions and between Oxfam, partners and other relevant actors; hereunder support to documentation of results/lessons learnt and the utilization of this to improve our practice;
- Participating in fundraising and grant management/reporting and to build donor relations (both Danida, Institutional donors and private donors);
- Spearheading learning and innovation both on different educational topics e.g. ICT and education and through building partnerships with diverse actors.
The successful candidate will bring the following qualifications, experiences, skills and personal attributes
- Documented experience of at least 5 years with programme management, preferably international, from a developing country;
- Documented experience of at least 3 years with providing strategic and thematic support to educational programs, including methodological advise, capacity development and evidence based national level policy influencing;
- Documented experience from working in partnership with different types of actors, including civil society strengthening and inclusive participation of disadvantaged groups;
- Experience with piloting education models and approaches that target and involve the most marginalised and using evidence gathered to influence formal education policies;
- Familiarity with the work and agenda of the global education movement and the work of regional and national education coalitions;
- Familiarity with the SDGs/2030 agenda, a human rights based approach, transformative education approaches, gender equality, youth education, as well as ICT in education;
- Robust experience with fundraising, grant management and reporting from institutional and private donors;
- Proven collaboration, communication and networking skills ranging from staff and partners at different levels and from different contexts, to building relationship with donors, campaign teams and the Danish audience;
- Able to co-create and think in new ways, and to both work closely in a small team and at the same time thrive in the changing environment of a big global organization, being able to bring people together around a joint agenda;
- You are results oriented and strategically thinking; and live for achieving inclusive quality education and global justice;
- Excellent communication skills. French and/or Spanish required, English and knowledge of Danish is an advantage;
- A friendly and busy working environment
- A challenging job position with the opportunity to contribute to an important agenda and develop professionally.
- A permanent position with 37 hours a week at Oxfam IBIS office in Copenhagen
- Travel to program countries
Conditions for the employment
The work place is in Copenhagen at Oxfam IBIS headquarters.
Salary and working conditions due to present collective agreement with a salary scale between 36.964 DKK and 51.122 DKK including pension and pay supplement. Pay grading will be based on the level of experience.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Please submit your application via the ‘send application’ button and include your motivation letter and CV.
Application deadline: 19 April 2018 at 12.00. Expected interview dates between 30 April-4 May 2018.
Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
Applicants must be nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
Oxfam IBIS is committed to equal employment opportunity we therefore encourage everybody – irrespective of age, gender and of religious, sexual, national or ethnic affiliation – to apply for this position.
For further information about the position, please contact Irene Fredriksson ([email protected]), Sanne Müller ([email protected])
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.