Artistic freedom: Communications Student Assistant
Freemuse – a civil society organisation defending artistic freedom – is seeking a dynamic, curious, creative and analytical Student Assistant with very strong communication skills, who will be an integral part of Freemuse’s communications team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for freedom of expression and the arts, excellent research and communication skills, good understanding of international developments and the ability to work independently and proactively.
Essential skills and experience:
- Studying Journalism, Communication and IT, Contemporary Culture and Communication or equivalent, either at the last year of a BA or at MA level, with a minimum of one year left in the academic programme;
- Excellent formulation and communication skills;
- Knowledge and experience of working in Wordpress;
- An interest in and commitment to artistic freedom;
- Research experience;
- Ability to use social media as an advocacy and campaign tool;
- Proficiency in English, including good writing skills;
- Deadline oriented and strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and in teams; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel or equivalents are required.
Desired skills and experience:
- Knowledge of political and cultural developments in Africa, Asia, MENA and Latin America;
- Additional language skills is an advantage, especially Arabic, French, Mandarin or Spanish;
- Experience in working with Adobe products in photo and video editing, and graphic design is a plus.
The position reports to the Web Editor and works closely with other programmes.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Research and document cases of artistic freedom violations;
- Assist with preparing and editing stories and statements for Freemuse website;
- Assist with preparing press releases and newsletters;
- Maintain media and audience databases;
- Update, maintain and monitor social media profiles, and analyse metircs – Facebook, Twitter and Instagram;
- Monitor and analyse website traffic;
- Update content calendar;
- Prepare and publish content on www.freemuse.org; and
- Participate in wider-ranging collaborative projects as needed.
Terms and conditions
- The position is based at the Freemuse office in Copenhagen.
- A minimum commitment of 12-15 hours per week for at least one year is required. Exact working hours will be worked out to avoid interference with the Student Assistant’s studies and will be flexible around exams.
- Freemuse salaries follow Danish trade union recommendations.
- The organization’s working language is English.
- All staff members are required to adhere to the Freemuse charter and staff handbook.
Freemuse is an equal opportunities employer that, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Please send your CV, one-page cover letter (explaining why you are applying for the position and evidencing how you meet the terms of reference), a short, unedited writing sample (i.e.: news story, research sample, etc.), and links to relevant social media profiles to [email protected]. Please include "Communications Student Assistant" and your name in the subject line.
Application deadline: 25 October, 2017 at 23.59 CET.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews are planned to take place 30-31 October.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.