Artistic freedom: Research Student Assistant
Freemuse – a civil society organisation defending artistic freedom – is seeking an analytical, systematic, thorough Student Assistant, who will assist with research related to an upcoming Freemuse report on Art and Fundamentalism. The ideal candidate will have a passion for freedom of expression and the arts, strong research and analytical skills, good understanding of international developments and the ability to work independently and proactively.
Essential skills and experience:
- Research experience
- Studying human rights, law, cross cultural and regional studies, international relations, political science, journalism or equivalent, at MA level;
- An interest in and commitment to artistic freedom;
- Proficiency in English, including good writing skills;
- Knowledge of political and cultural developments in Africa, Asia, MENA and Latin America;
- Systematic, analytical with a strong attention to detail
- Deadline oriented
- Ability to work independently and in teams;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel or equivalents are required.
Desired skills and experience:
- Understanding of international human rights mechanisms at the UN, EU and national levels;
- Additional language skills is an advantage, especially Arabic, French, Portuguese and Spanish;
The position reports to the Executive Director.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Conduct desk research on selected cases, themes, regions, and countries related to fundamentalism and artistic freedom
- Identify key policy issues, documents, people, and organisations working on fundamentalist and artistic freedom
- Review regional and international instruments including UN resolutions, reports, recommendations and other international and regional norms related to fundamentalist and artistic freedom
- Review literatures related to fundamentalist and artistic freedom; write summary of the previous and emerging debates; identify gaps and opportunity for further research
- Arrange meetings and logistics for research missions
- Arrange interviews and meeting, take notes and transcribe or summarise interviews and meetings.
- Conduct other tasks as assigned.
Terms and conditions
- The position is based at the Freemuse office in Copenhagen.
- The position is a short-term position, 15 hours per week running November/December 2017 - May 2018. Exact working hours will be worked out to avoid interference with the Student Assistant’s studies and will be flexible around exams.
- Freemuse salaries follow Danish trade union recommendations.
- The organization’s working language is English.
- All staff members are required to adhere to the Freemuse charter and staff handbook.
Freemuse is an equal opportunities employer that, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Please send your CV, one-page cover letter (explaining why you are applying for the position and evidencing how you meet the terms of reference), to [email protected]. Please include "Research Student Assistant" and your name in the subject line.
Application deadline: 25 October, 2017 at 23.59 CET.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews are planned to take place 30-31 October.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.