Programme Development Advisor
International Media Support (IMS) is seeking an experienced Programme Development Advisor for a position in our Asia Department
International Media Support (IMS) is a non-profit organisation working to support media in countries affected by armed conflict, human insecurity and political transition. Across four continents, IMS helps to strengthen professional journalism and ensure that media can operate in challenging circumstances.
IMS’ Asia Programme Department is currently undergoing a structural change process where management of programmes is to be increasingly decentralised to in-country programme management and financial administration. This means that the headquarter Asia team is more focused on strategic programme design, fund-raising, technical advice, coaching, quality assurance and backstopping of in-country programme teams. As the department is currently expanding its resource base and programme activities in Asia, we are looking for a new motivated colleague who can be part of the team to lead programme design and formulation of both new programmes and re-design of new phases of existing programmes in close collaboration with in-country colleagues.
With this aim, IMS will be hiring an experienced Strategic Programme Advisor with strong writing and analytic skills as well as solid knowledge of strategic development programme design. The Programme Development Advisor will be joining a team of dedicated and experienced programme managers, advisers and finance staff engaged in our Asia activities.
The Programme Development Advisor will refer to the Head of the Asia Department.
Strategic Programme Design
· Lead and undertake strategic programme design processes in line with national priorities and IMS’s institutional mandate and service lines
· Facilitate strategic programme design processes using ‘Theory of Change’ methodology as well as development of Results Frameworks and other tools and methodologies with country teams and partner organisations
Concept note and programme formulation
· Write concept notes, programme proposals and full programme documents based on IMS’ templates or donor formats
· Lead the proposal writing process for EU tenders and other tenders of bi-lateral donors and embassies in priority countries
· Prepare budgets in close collaboration with the programme managers, assistant programme managers and the finance controllers
Assessments and policy briefs
· Initiate and undertake assessments and baselines on the media development and freedom of expression situation in country, regional and/or on specific themes of relevance
· Write strategy papers and policy briefs in high profile areas of engagement such as the role of media in conflict prevention and peace building, migration, extremism, local accountability and corruption, climate change, gender equality, safety of journalists, etc.
Resource mobilisation and strategic partnerships
· Lead and undertake resource mobilization and fund-raising activities in close collaboration with the head of fundraising and the head of department.
· Explore possibilities for innovative funding streams including from the private sector
Qualifications and skills
· International development/sociology/anthropology and media/journalism/communications studies or related educational background
· Experienced in programme development and project cycle management in countries challenged by an unstable political environment and democratic transition
· Strong proposal writing skills in English on international development matters
· Knowledge and experience of fundraising in the field of media development
· Programme implementation experience in international development preferably in the areas of democracy and human rights, good governance and accountability
· Ability and willingness to operate and travel under challenging circumstances in both conflict and post-conflict countries.
· Experience with journalism on digital media platforms is an advantage
· Working experience from Asia is a strong asset
· Strong team working skills and the ability to handle many tasks at once while working independently.
· Strong interdisciplinary and intercultural team-working skills.
· Excellent communication, coordination, organisational and planning skills.
· Ability to work under pressure and to meet targets and deadlines.
· Strong English language skills – spoken and written is a prerequisite.
Everyone with the required qualifications and skills is encouraged to apply, regardless of gender, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Duration and location
The position is full time. Compensation commensurate with experience and IMS policies. Duty station: IMS headquarters, Copenhagen, Denmark. Frequent travels activity must be expected. Starting date: 1 September 2017.
How to apply
Please submit a brief written application and curriculum vitae in English to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and no later than Thursday 22 June 2017. Kindly mark the application “Programme Development Advisor” in the subject header. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a follow-up interview. Interviews with selected candidates will take place 26-27 June.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.