HEAD OF EDUCATION AND YOUTH ENGAGEMENT
INTERNATIONAL DEPARTMENT / PROGRAMME AND POLICY DEVELOPMENT
Do you want to be responsible for Save the Children’s education programming globally including the development of our portfolio of basic education programs while also enhancing our focus on education in emergencies? Can you help build a regional presence for youth programming in the context of fragile states? Do you have solid knowledge within the areas combined with an ability to influence and engage people locally and globally to take new exciting steps and ensure enduring transformation for children and youth? Then here is your opportunity to become part of one of the world’s leading child rights-based organizations.
BECOME PART OF AN AMBITIOUS AND ENGAGED ORGANIZATION
SCD International Department works on behalf of Save the Children international to develop high-level expertise in different programmatic areas. This position focus on youth and education and you should be able to engage credibly with both focus areas.
You will work together with your team of 3-5 reports, along with other nationally and internationally based technical experts. You will refer to the Head of Policy and Programme Development and become part of a management team also consisting of an Evidence and Learning team. You will work closely with highly specialized and engaged colleagues throughout the global organization.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As Head of Education and Youth Engagement, you will lead and seek to expand SCD’s efforts in the area of education and youth affairs with relevant stakeholders including the European Union, Danida, key foundations and the private sector. You will ensure that SCD is recognized for its work in the areas, and continue to provide specialized input to grants throughout the programme cycle in collaboration with Save the Children regional and country offices. Specific tasks of yours will be:
- Maintain a solid and current understanding of key issues related to the provision of quality programming in the countries prioritized by SCD, with a focus on the challenges of working in emergencies, in fragile states and in middle-income countries.
- Analyse donor priorities and positions on issues related to education and youth engagement; identifying institutional funding opportunities and developing/maintaining contacts with potential donors, partners and key technical agencies.
- Responsible for the ongoing development of both SCD’s education and youth programme in consultation with other members of Save the Children globally, SCI, key stakeholders, and key donors.
- Maintain oversight of SCD’s total education and youth programmes globally, including programming
Programme Quality and Development
- Ensure that the work of SCD undertaken by SCI is of a high quality, at the design and implementation phases. Ensure appropriate levels of technical support are built into SCD’s education and youth programs and provided as close to the activities as possible by capacity held within country or regional operations, or sourced locally.
- Responsible for the ongoing development of a global youth strategy.
Advocacy and Representation
- Represent and advocate for Save the Children with Danida, UN agencies, donors, Government, NGOs and others at the highest levels in both verbal and written communications to ensure Save the Children is recognized as the lead international agency focusing on education and youth issues, in terms of innovation and quality of implementation.
- Develop policy briefs and position papers when required related to the Education and youth issues.
- Engage in the Global Platform for Education and Education Cannot Wait activities within SCI, linking with Danida as well as linking with other Danish education actors though the Education Network in Denmark.
Strategic and daily team leadership
- Setting direction and delivering results through your team and ensure that it delivers on short- and long term objectives
- Leading, inspiring and developing direct reports
YOUR PROFESSIONAL PROFILE
You have a relevant tertiary academic education at a Masters level or higher in an area related to education, youth affairs or another social science area. Furthermore, you have:
- Demonstrated, high level technical expertise in education and/or youth engagement.Specifically this could include basic education and education in emergencies.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing relationships and funding from donors such as the EU, Danida as well as private sources.
- Experience in building personal networks, resulting in new opportunities for the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills, particularly communication and presentation skills for diverse audiences.
- Experience leading a team of direct reports, including employee development and performance management.
YOU PERSONAL PROFILE
You have a high level of professional expertise, which you use to make decisions and continuously develop and implement innovative solutions with your team and stakeholders. You actively promote best practice within and outside the organization. Your solid planning skills are combined with your ability to anticipate and adapt to changing circumstances.
Communication is a key strength of yours and you confidently deliver influential advice and briefings to internal and external audiences. You proactively promote dialogue and gather key stakeholders to create urgency and mobilize action. You master multiple strategies for influencing and persuading to achieve better results.
You are a strong networker who actively builds relations and spot opportunities for new working alliances.
CONDITIONS AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
You will be employed according to the terms of individual leader contract Agreement between Save the Children Denmark and the AC organizations and HK. The position is without limited working hours. Expected start January 2018.
Deadline for applications is Monday 23th October 2017. Interviews will be held in week 45 and 46.
Please note that we do not accept applications outside of our recruitment system.
Please Apply here:
For further information, please contact the Head of International Department Roger Hearn, [email protected], +45 2034 2072
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.