REGIONAL ADVOCACY ADVISOR (SAHEL)
West and Central Africa Regional Office (position based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso)
Do you want to help civil society partners in the Sahel to address the most vulnerable children and youth? Can you build the local capacity within advocacy work through technical assistance in order to strengthen and protect girls (and boys) from child marriage and harmful practices? Do you thrive in an ambitious and multicultural environment? If you also have a Master’s degree and experience of working specifically on the matters of girls’ rights and specific protection needs ideally in the Sahel context - then you might be our new Regional Advocacy Advisor for the Sahel.
A CHALLENGING AND INFLUENTAL JOB
You will be part of Save the Children, the worlds’ leading Child Rights-based organization. The purpose of the Regional Advocacy Advisor is to lead and advise Save the Children’ s Danida regional programme for the Sahel so as to guide the programme to a successful outcome.
You will be located in Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso). Travelling to Mali, Niger, Senegal and Sierra Leone is expected. The level of ambition is high, and you will be working with dedicated national and international colleagues, who all strive to make a difference for vulnerable children and youth around the world.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You will be hired by Save the Children Denmark (formal reporting line to be advised later). In your daily work, you will be supervised by the Save the Children Regional Advocacy and Campaign Manager (line management) and Advocacy Lead in Burkina Faso (matrix management).
In the role you will both work with building civil society capacity, promoting research and knowledge sharing within the area and contributing to Save the Children and CSO partners’ ongoing child rights situation analysis with a special emphasis on the ending child marriage agenda.
The core deliverables in the role are:
- Regional CSO capacities assessed and developed
- Regional CSOs and networks in the Sahel established and/or strengthened to advocate for ending child marriage
- Youth-friendly tools designed to enhance action in the field on ending child marriage
- Gender-sensitive evidence on child/youth protection and participation rights generated to inform advocacy and programming
- Trends analysis of enablers and barriers to ending child marriage in the Sahel supported in coordination with WCA RO and other Save the Children member initiatives
- Training of regional CSOs in advocacy skills in order for them to effectively influence the AU and ECOWAS
- Technical assistance provided to CSOs, networks and Save the Children Country Office staff on e.g. the establishment of a virtual learning platform on social and policy change re: ending child marriage; organize policy dialogues on ending child marriage; create guidance on how to utilize promising practices on ending child marriage.
You have a Master’s degree in social or political science or equivalent and a minimum of 5 years of experience of working specifically on the matters of girls’ rights and specific protection needs. Furthermore, the ideal candidate has:
- Solid knowledge of CSO capacity strengthening and child/youth empowerment programming
- Solid experience of child/youth programming in the Sahel
- Experience in advocacy related to girls’ rights, including challenges of discrimination and exclusion
- Experience in carrying out policy and social analyses related to project baselines; child rights situation analysis, and outcome harvesting of advocacy results.
- Experience of working through and together with others, and with providing technical assistance in a respectful manner.
- Demonstrated experience of writing funding proposals
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in French and English
YOUR PERSONAL PROFILE
You have a high level of expertise within the thematic area, which you use to make decisions and continuously develop and implement innovative solutions. You proactively promote dialogue and gather key stakeholders to create urgency and mobilize action. Communication is a key strength of yours and you confidently deliver influential advice and convincing briefings to internal and external audiences. You are a strong networker who actively builds relations and spot opportunities for new working alliances.
CONDITIONS AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Employment and salary follow Save the Children Denmark’s present terms and conditions. Employment for 12 months with possibility of extension.
Deadline for applications is Monday 26 January 2018. Application language: English or French. First and second interviews will be held in Ouagadougou (first one can be over Skype) in week 6/7 and 8/9 2018. Preferred start date 1 April 2018
Please note that we do not accept applications outside of our recruitment system.
Please Apply Here:
For further information, please contact the SCD Area Representative for Africa, Jakob Eilsøe Mikkelsen, [email protected]
Save the Children Denmark wants to promote equality and diversity. We encourage all qualified to apply for the position - regardless of ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age.
Save the Children Denmark (Red Barnet) is a non-governmental humanitarian organization working to realize children’s rights in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Save the Children Denmark is a member of the Save the Children International, which works in 120 countries.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.