REGIONAL YOUTH ADVISOR (SAHEL)
West and Central Africa Regional Office (position based in Bamako, Mali)
Do you want to work with youth to facilitate their empowerment? Do you thrive in an ambitious and multicultural environment? Are you able to strengthen capacities of regional civil society organisations working with youth engagement? If you also have a Master’s degree and experience working on the matters of young people’s empowerment, advocacy and organizational capacity development ideally in the Sahel context - then you might be our new Regional Youth Advisor for the Sahel.
A CHALLENGING AND INFLUENTAL JOB
You will be part of Save the Children, the worlds’ leading Child Rights-based organization. The purpose of this role is to advise and guide Save the Children’s Danida regional programme for the Sahel to a successful outcome. You will both work with capacity strengthening of youth networks as partners, youth empowerment through regional and country programmes and also contribute to regional youth agendas by supporting youth-led innovation and research.
You will be located in Bamako (Mali) and will be traveling in and outside the region. The level of ambition is high, and you will be working with dedicated national and international colleagues, who all strive to make a difference for vulnerable children and youth around the world.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You will be hired by Save the Children Denmark and formally report to the Save the Children Denmark Head of Education and Youth Engagement, who holds the technical expertise management for SCD programming. In your daily work, you will be supervised by the Save the Children Programme Development and Quality Director in Mali and the Regional Office Children on the Move Advisor based in Dakar (Senegal).
The core responsibilities of the role are:
- Youth CSO networks in the Sahel established and/or strengthened to promote and advocate for youth rights
- Set up and manage innovation fund for youth ideas addressing concerns for youth on the move
- Gender-sensitive evidence on youth protection and participation rights generated to inform advocacy and programming
- Trends analysis of youth migration in the Sahel supported
- Development of youth-friendly tools for children/youth on the move supported
- Training of youth in advocacy skills in order for them to present their cases to the AU and ECOWAS completed
- Work with SC Members and COs to identify and pursue funding opportunities, including support on positioning, donor discussions, project design and proposal development;
- Technical assistance provided to youth networks, CSOs, and Save the Children Country Office staff on technical vocational training and skills development, employment promotion, social and political empowerment of youth, life skills, youth leadership and youth led advocacy
You have a Master’s degree in social or political science or equivalent. Furthermore, the ideal candidate has:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience of working specifically on the matters of young people’s empowerment, advocacy and organizational capacity development, ideally in the Sahel context.
- Experience of working through and together with others, and with providing technical assistance in a respectful, cultural appropriate manner.
- Expertise in child/youth mobility, ideally in the Sahel context
- Demonstrated experience of writing funding proposals
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in French and English
- Solid knowledge of CSO strengthening and youth empowerment programming and participation
- Experience in project management, ideally management of regional programmes in the Sahel context
- Experience in carrying out analysis related to project baselines; market surveys; youth situation analysis; and tracer studies of youth (desirable experience in youth employment and entrepreneurship issues)
YOUR PERSONAL PROFILE
You have a high level of expertise within the thematic area, which you use to make decisions and continuously develop and implement innovative solutions. You proactively promote dialogue and gather key stakeholders to create urgency and mobilize action. Communication is a key strength of yours and you confidently deliver influential advice and briefings to internal and external audiences. You are a strong networker who actively builds relations and spot opportunities for new working alliances.
CONDITIONS AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Employment and salary follow Save the Children Denmark’s present terms and conditions. Employment for 12 months with possibility of extension.
Deadline for applications is Sunday 31 December 2017. Application language: English or French. First and second interviews will be held in Bamako (first one can be over Skype) in week 4/5 and 6/7 2018.
Please note that we do not accept applications outside of our recruitment system.
Please Apply Here:
For further information, please contact the SCD Area Representative for Africa, Jakob Eilsøe Mikkelsen, [email protected]
Save the Children Denmark wants to promote equality and diversity. We encourage all qualified to apply for the position - regardless of ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion or age.
Save the Children Denmark (Red Barnet) is a non-governmental humanitarian organization working to realize children’s rights in accordance with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. Save the Children Denmark is a member of the Save the Children International, which works in 120 countries.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.