Annoncør: Red Cross
Job: Deputy Head of Region – Africa
Are you a high performing humanitarian professional who can provide inclusive leadership to the Danish Red Cross strategic engagement in the Africa region? If yes come and join us at the Danish Red Cross!
Danish Red Cross aims to make a difference for people with high vulnerability living in complex, fragile and protracted crises contexts, and facing disasters and conflicts. The Danish Red Cross (DRC) has been present in Africa for more than three decades. Currently DRC is engaged in 10 countries in Africa with an annual turnover of approximately EUR 35 million, 60 expatriate and staff under local contract and 8 country offices (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mali, Niger, Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan). In these countries, DRC supports the National Red Cross Red Crescent Societies within resilience building, emergency response, preparedness and anticipatory action, health notably non-communicable diseases and psychosocial support, youth and volunteer management, migration, and branch and organizational development.
The Deputy Head of Region (DHoR) position is based at the DRC Regional Office Africa in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with the overall purpose to deputize and support the DRC Head of Region (HoR) in strategic engagement and business development and resource mobilisation, Regional Office management as well as representation towards Host National Societies, Movement and non-Movement partners, donors and other key stakeholders in the region. In addition, the DHoR is responsible for remote country representation in countries of engagement without DRC presence, currently Burkina Faso and Zimbabwe.
The DHoR is part of the DRC Africa management team with direct reference to the DRC HoR, based in Addis Ababa with travel within the region including to high security risk contexts as required to fulfill the Job Description outlined here up to 60 days annually.
The DHoR main areas of responsibility are:
- Strategy and business development in the region with an overall growth objective in close cooperation with the HoR
- Deputizing and representing the DRC Regional Office Africa as agreed with the HoR in a division of responsibilities and in the absence of the HoR
- Remote country representation in countries of engagement without DRC presence and representation, currently Burkina Faso and Zimbabwe
- Day-to-day management of the Regional Office and line management of regional technical staff in close dialogue with the DRC HoR Africa
The position will include key tasks within strategy and business development, project idea and concept development, resource mobilization, management, coordination, representation and general support to the DRC HoR and Country Managers in the Africa region.
- New opportunities for strategic engagement and business development identified and pursued across the region but with a particular focus on Sahel with an overall expansion and impact objective
- Responsible, timely and compliant management of the DRC Regional Office incl line management and supervision of regional technical staff (8-9 staff TBC)
- Successfully management of partnerships with Host National Societies in countries of engagement without DRC presence, currently Burkina Faso and Zimbabwe RC
- Timely and quality narrative and financial reporting at country and project levels in countries of engagement without DRC presence, currently Burkina Faso and Zimbabwe
- Successful representation of DRC towards National Societies, Movement and non-Movement partners, donors and other key stakeholders in the region
- Smooth and loyal caretaker responsibilities as acting HoR as well as in representing the Africa region in the absence of the HoR
Required experience and qualifications
- You have a relevant academic background, e.g., a master’s degree in social or economic sciences, development studies, or another relevant field and with:
- Relevant academic background, e.g. Master Degree in social or economic sciences, development studies, or other relevant field
- Minimum of 8 years relevant work experience from humanitarian organizations in humanitarian and fragile or protracted crisis contexts
- Minimum of 3 years relevant international deployment to humanitarian and fragile or protracted crisis contexts (expatriate work experience)
- Experience with team leading and staff/team management including security management is a requirement
- Proven experience with business, idea and concept development within the humanitarian sector
- Proven experience on resource mobilisation with major donors/funds including EU/ECHO and Danida
- Proven experience on programme development and implementation through partner organisations
- Proven experience with project cycle and financial management of humanitarian projects
- Experience with leading or being part of consortia of partners jointly implementing programmes
- Working experience from Africa and preferably Sahel is a requirement
- Experience from the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement is a strong asset
- Good analytical skills and confident self-management in situations of stress
- Ability to work in demanding situations under pressure
- Excellent communication, coordination, networking and facilitation skills
- Results oriented, patience and cultural sensitivity skills
- Full professional proficiency in English and French speaking and writing is a requirement
- Possession of a valid driving licence
The duty station is Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with considerable travel requirement. Addis Ababa is currently classified as a family duty station. Starting date as soon as possible.
Your application and CV should be uploaded at DRC web page www.rodekors.dk/job. Applications made by email will not be accepted. The deadline for applications is the 18th of February. Considering the urgency, we will contact applicants and conduct interviews on a rolling basis. Once the right applicant has been identified the recruitment will be closed.
Salary and employment conditions will be according to Danish Red Cross collective bargain agreement. The total gross monthly salary including allowances and pension starts at DKK 49.684 for this level position.
In case you need more information on the position, please contact Danish Red Cross Head of Region for Africa Bjarke Andreasen: [email protected]
Join us. Together we can make a world of difference. The Red Cross is always present. We are the largest humanitarian organisation in the world and for 150 years we have helped alleviate people through wars and disasters, diseases and loneliness. Most countries have signed an agreement which gives the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement a unique position and mandate to provide aid regardless of nationality, race or political views. We currently count 11 million volunteers in 192 countries. We are part of your local community no matter where you live. When disaster strikes, we are there.
Application deadline: 18/02/2024
Expected start date: As soon as possible
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Contacts: Bjarke Andreasen
Company homepage: www.rodekors.dk
Office address: Titanhuset, Titangade 13 2200 København N.