Job: Student Assistant – UNLEASH Innovation Lab for the SDGs
UNLEASH is a global initiative committed to bringing the world’s top talented youth together to share ideas, build networks and develop solutions to help reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Our mission is to build the world’s leading platform for innovative and scalable solutions to the SDGs by engaging youth in design thinking problem-solving, and by providing support for bringing ideas to life utilizing the UNLEASH Innovation Methodology.
Since its inception, UNLEASH has annually convened up to 1,000 youth from 170+ Nationalities at Innovation Labs in Denmark (2017), Singapore (2018), China (2019), Greenland (2022) and India (2022). So far, this has resulted in the development of 1,000 new solutions and ideas to help reach the SDGs, with at least 130 Teams and Talents having received investments for their solutions. Up until 2030, we will host Innovation Labs in new destinations every year to expand our global outreach and SDG networks.
UNLEASH offers a full-year program in addition to our Innovation Labs, including organizing local hackathons (UNLEASH Hacks), building ongoing capacity of our Community of 7,000 changemakers and in our Ambassador Program, as well as accelerating the implementation of top solutions in our incubation program UNLEASH Plus.
Our values and team composition:
We are an impact-driven non-profit organization guided by our values of inclusion, evolution, amplification and positivity. We fundraise to cover participation costs for all of our Talents so that every young person with a drive to learn more about sustainability, innovation and entrepreneurship can participate in our programs regardless of socio-economic background.
Since 2016, UNLEASH has worked to create a vibrant and diverse global community, which we aspire to reflect in our own Secretariat. Today the UNLEASH Secretariat consists of a small, agile team of 9 staff members spanning 8 different nationalities, mainly based in Copenhagen, Denmark. The Student Assistant will be based in our Copenhagen office.
Roles and responsibilities:
We are flexible to adjust your tasks depending on your interests and previous experience, but some of the work you will be supporting your UNLEASH colleagues on will be:
- Providing overall support to your UNLEASH colleagues in a wide variety of tasks related to project management, community engagement, innovation programming, communications and admin
- Supporting our Talent Sourcing workstream, with partner outreach, the application and evaluation process, preparation of information material, and travel logistics for our next Innovation Lab scheduled to take place at the end of 2023
- Supporting the outreach, preparation and execution of trainings and events within our UNLEASH Community, Ambassador Program and Hacks
- Providing technical support in developing and maintaining our databases, including the UNLEASH Community Platform and our partner networks
- Supporting our communication efforts, including website maintenances, designing social media posts, writing articles, doing research, and developing presentations and information material
- Contributing to data collection and conducting surveys for our Annual Impact Report, and other ongoing M&E tasks
- Engage in other daily ad-hoc and administrative tasks
The Student Assistant position will be for up to 15-20 hours/week with flexibility on which days you are present at the office to allow for other commitments such as class attendance and exams.
We are looking for a candidate that:
- Is enrolled in higher education, preferably at BA level or at the beginning of your MA in a relevant field, like Global Development, Business, Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Social Sciences, or similar
- Sees themself as committed to be part of the UNLEASH team for a significant period of their study time
- Previous experience or knowledge about the UN Sustainable Development Goals, innovation, entrepreneurship, human-centered design-thinking or youth-driven projects
- Has a global outlook and is used to engaging in multi-cultural and highly diverse working environments
- Has solid analytical and IT-skills. Good Excel skills is a strong advantage.
- Is energetic, curious, and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Hold competences and experiences that reflect the tasks outlined in the roles and responsibilities section above
- Is fluent in English. Knowledge of French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic would be an advantage
- Is flexible and enjoys shifting between a wide variety of tasks to support a small, agile team
- Is excited about being a part of a a diverse Secretariat, and with a collaborative and caring way of engaging with team members, with international stakeholders, with our community, and with the very mission of UNLEASH.
How to apply
If you are interested and want to apply for the Student Assistant position, please send a motivated application letter (max 1 page) and a detailed CV no later than June 15, 2023 at 23.59 CET. Remember to mark the title of your e-mail “Student Assistant UNLEASH”.
We are interviewing candidates on a rolling basis due to a project we would love to enroll the new Student Assistant in starting from mid-June and would strongly encourage you to apply before the deadline.
For further information about the position, please contact Program Manager Nina Søraa at [email protected].
UNLEASH is committed to equal employment opportunities and we therefore encourage everybody – irrespective of age, gender and of religious, sexual, national or ethnic affiliation – to apply for this position.
For more details see www.unleash.org.