Innovative and systematic programme director
Are you capable of managing a strong influencing programme through a new One Oxfam setup and engaging new strategic partners and allies? Can you lead and manage a large department with highly professional and committed staff leading processes of strategic development and innovation together with country, regional and global partners? Do you have experience in managing a large and complex programme portfolio?
As the International Programme Director you will lead the expansion and implementation of Oxfam IBIS’ priority areas in countries, at regional level and globally strengthening our systems and procedures for programme cycle management and for ongoing learning and innovation.
Oxfam IBIS has a 51 year history as a Danish development organization and recently became part of the Oxfam confederation, probably the world’s most influential development organization and known for its strong programmes in 90+ countries and for being an efficient humanitarian actor with an edge and world class capacity to analyze, communicate and influence.
Oxfam IBIS is in a growth scenario as part of the Oxfam family with huge potential for making a significant difference in our strategic priority areas. Oxfam IBIS has three thematic areas: Education for Active Citizenship; Economic and Social Justice; and Peacebuilding, Rights and Inclusion with a strong focus on gender and youth and a rights based approach. Further Oxfam IBIS is building a new humanitarian programme. Oxfam IBIS works in seven countries in West Africa, in a number of countries in Latin America as well as in South Sudan and Mozambique.
Oxfam IBIS is the leading organization in Oxfam on transformative education, and we will in the coming years work strategically to strengthen the whole confederation on education programming, learning, innovation and global influencing. Economic and Social Justice is closely integrated into the overall Oxfam strategies and campaigns where Oxfam IBIS has to find its niche and added value. Peacebuilding, Rights and Inclusion is a new thematic priority area in development where the challenge is to develop the platform within Oxfam and initiate interventions at country, regional and global levels. Oxfam IBIS is developing its role as a humanitarian actor in protracted crises with a focus on education in emergencies and influencing through among other things our Rights In Crises campaign and the New Ways of Working agenda.
Tasks and responsibilities
Responsibility for international programmes
- Build and maintain expertise to deliver programmes according to strategic priorities and quality standards with a systematized approach to capacity building and support to countries.
- Through a close dialogue with the Oxfam country and regional offices strengthen the partnership approach and focus on influencing programmes within the thematic priorities of Oxfam IBIS.
- Manage and develop fundraising from various bilateral and multilateral donors as well as from private foundations.
- Lead a process for strengthening the Oxfam conferations partnership approach at country level based on the ‘change triangle’ and a strong focus in programmes on gender and youth.
- Further strengthen our approach to learning, innovation and documentation of results, and strengthen the integration of these elements into all programme activities.
Management and leadership
- Strengthen systems for results based management and reporting of programmes in coordination with the Director of Operations.
- Lead the strategic direction for programme activities based on an ability to nurture team capacity and engagement to unfold staff competences and allocate and prioritize adequate resources.
- Inspire and lead a group of experienced, wise and committed staff
- Be part of the management group of Oxfam IBIS and take part in setting the overall strategic direction for the organization.
- Represent Oxfam IBIS in Oxfam programme platforms and influence the relevant agendas.
- Relevant graduate or post-graduate degree
- At least 5 years of experience from a management position
- At least 10 years of experience in programme management, preferably from Africa and Latin America, and preferably related to the development programming and the thematic priorities of Oxfam IBIS
- Strong understanding of and commitment to the strategic priority areas of Oxfam IBIS and the embedded approach of linking activities from the local, to national, regional and international activities focusing on policy changes and influencing at all levels
- Experienced staff manager capable of managing and allocating staff time, managing budgets and in close dialogue with staff prioritizing resources and tasks in order to implement strategies
- Strong networker able to maneuver and contribute to the Oxfam confederation and representing Oxfam IBIS in Oxfam and other international and Danish networks
- An inclusive and open management style setting strategic direction and engaging and motivating staff to perform at their best
- Good sense of policy development and influencing with capacity to identify opportunities for generating change
- Strong communication skills with ability to communicate strategies and visions clearly and engage effectively in high-level networks and negotiations
- Fluency in English required; Danish a strong preference; Spanish and French will be considered assets
- Deep personal commitment to end poverty and inequality in all its forms
Conditions for the employment
The work place is in Copenhagen at Oxfam IBIS headquarters. Travel of up to 90 days per year can be expected.
Salary including pension is 58.640,26 and is based on an agreement for management in Oxfam IBIS.
Starting date: 2 January 2018
For further information about the position, please contact Secretary General Mie Roesdahl [email protected]
Please submit your application via the ‘send application’ button and include your motivation letter and CV
Application deadline: 31st October 2017. Expected interview dates: 9th November 2017.
Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
Applicants must be nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
Oxfam IBIS is committed to equal employment opportunity we therefore encourage everybody – irrespective of age, gender and of religious, sexual, national or ethnic affiliation – to apply for this position.
Please state that you have seen the job advertisement on Globalnyt.